Solutions for Healthcare Facilities
The built environment plays a significant role in a patient's medical care experience. The following construction materials have been hand-picked by our technical experts to increase comfort, durability and safety in healthcare structures.
Need something else? Contact your local BASF representative to learn about our extensive portfolio of construction solutions.
03 24 00 Synthetic Fiber Solutions for Concrete
For concrete floors/slab on ground:
For elevated decks / composite metal decks:
- Consider replacing wire mesh with synthetic fibers to control temperature & shrinkage cracking. Use MasterFiber MAC 360 FF Hybrid Fiber at 4 lbs/yd³ in your concrete design and place your decks faster.
07 10 00 Waterproofing
Protect your next healthcare building against moisture damage.To protect foundations and to waterproof between split slab applications:
- MasterSeal HLM 5000- seamless bitumen-modified polyurethane waterproofing membrane for exterior below-grade applications. DIV 07 14 16
To protect below grade concrete and masonry substrates:
- MasterSeal 581- cement based coating to help protect building interiors from dampness and moisture damage. Resistant to both positive and negative hydrostatic pressure, suitable for interior and exterior use. DIV 07 16 00
07 18 00 Traffic Coatings & Deck Membranes
Specify a waterproofing system to help protect wearing surfaces from pedestrian and or vehicular traffic abrasion, as well as to protect concrete from scaling and chloride intrusion.To protect balconies, exposed concrete stairs and walkways:
- MasterSeal Traffic 1500- waterproofing membrane system that is ideal for light to medium duty traffic. DIV 07 18 16
For elevated decks:
- MasterSeal Traffic 2500- waterproofing membrane system that provides excellent waterproofing and protects the occupied spaces below. DIV 07 18 16
07 24 00 Exterior Cladding & Masonry Veneer Systems
Continuous insulation cladding systems provide nearly endless aesthetic possibilities, while saving the owner energy costs. Senergy offers architects a unique combination of advantages for your projects, such as moisture protection, continuous insulation, and design flexibility. We can turn your creative inspiration into a beautiful, sustainable, fully engineered cladding system that has the building science you need, at a cost that meets the demands of your design. Find the details you need to bring your design to life.Considering multiple claddings on a project? Check out our latest innovation MaxGrip Veneer Mortar which can be used to adhere thin brick, natural and manufactured stone and tile to a broad range of substrates for exterior and interior applications. (DIV 07 24 23)
07 27 26 Fluid-Applied Membrane Air Barriers
Air intrusion into a structure can cause moisture and condensation to collect in walls; which can lead to significant problems for the client (mold & mildew, poor air indoor air quality, structural damage). To manage and control moisture in your wall systems and building envelope, it is critical to understand where the dew point will be (inside or outside the wall).
For conditions that require a vapor permeable air/water-resistive barrier:
- MasterSeal AWB 660 – fluid-applied air/water-resistive barrier prevents air leakage and should be continuous throughout the structure. Qualify as both an air/water-resistive barrier and flexible flashing material. DIV 07 27 26
For conditions that require a vapor impermeable air/water-resistive barrier:
- MasterSeal AWB 660 I – fluid-applied air/water-resistive barrier that can also function as a Class 1 vapor retarder. Provides excellent secondary moisture protection behind most wall claddings including brick, siding, metal panels EIFS and stucco. DIV 07 27 26
Contact us to help you review your design and select the appropriate product
07 92 00 Joint Sealants
The integrity of a structure is often only as good as the sealants used.For windows, doors and siding applications that need to bond to concrete, masonry units or porous substrates:
- MasterSeal NP1- polyurethane sealant with movement capability ±35%, VOC content = 35 g/L, VOC compliant for interior use per LEED v.4 Low-Emitting Materials. Suitable for immersion in water. 13 standard colors. DIV 07 92 13
For coated metal applications (PDVF coatings):
- MasterSeal NP 100- hybrid sealant that combines polyurethane & silicone properties with movement capability ±50%, VOC content = 29 g/L; VOC compliant for interior use per LEED v.4 Low-Emitting Materials. CDPH v1.1 compliant. 14 standard colors with 40 stocked tint bases available. DIV 07 92 13
To improve sound damping performance in patient rooms and administration/consultation rooms:
- MasterSeal NP 520 – siliconized acrylic latex sealant to seal sound flanking paths in partition walls, fire-rated, meets Class A criteria set by NFPA 101. VOC content= 13 g/L, VOC compliant for interior use per LEED v.4 Low-Emitting Materials. 11 standard colors. DIV 07 92 19
07 95 00 Expansion Control from Watson Bowman Acme
One of the most critical considerations in a healthcare facility is floor flatness and an expansion joint’s ability to manage heavy point loads. To simplify the decision-making process, we recommend starting with these flush interior floor joints:
- Wabo® Alure- accommodates 1”-6” movements, minimal sightline (self-contained joint with ¾” visible aluminum strip). Ideal for carpet and VCT, ADA compliant.
- Wabo® Corridor Wrap Floor - accommodates 1”-4” movements, 4 standard colors, accommodates a variety of flooring materials. ADA compliant. Coordinating wall and ceiling systems available.
- Wabo® Seismic Floor- accommodates 2”-24” multidirectional movements, stainless steel options available to improve floor hygiene and eliminate bacteria, ADA compliant
- Wabo® VIP- accommodates 1”-4” movements, premier joint for extremely long service life. Can accommodate high loading and a wide variety of traffic. Can accept terrazzo, tile, carpet, etc. flooring types. Custom designs available.
To maintain the integrity of the interrupted fire rated assembly and prevent the spread of fire. All systems tested to meet appropriate UL, ASTM, NFPA, ICBO, and CAN/ULC guidelines. All joint systems can be fire rated by combining the selected system with one of Watson Bowman Acme’s fire rated systems.
09 67 00 Resinous Flooring Solutions
For Patient Care and Visitor Areas - Seamless, budget friendly, highly versatile, VOC compliant, durable, decorative and long-lasting epoxy floors.
- MasterTop 1234- Epoxy-resin binder with colored quartz aggregates; ideal for lobbies, atriums, patient rooms and cafeterias; system thickness = 1/8" (3mm) to 3/16” (5mm). DIV 09 67 26For Operating Rooms and Research Laboratories- impervious floors that are chemical and stain resistant as well as easy to sanitize and maintain.
- MasterTop 1851 SRS CF- Methyl-methacrylate-based, flexible self-leveling flooring system with decorative flake broadcast. Ideal for operating rooms, surgical areas, and animal research areas; typical system thickness = 3/16” (~5 mm), 1-hour cure. Compliant with the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Standard Method v1.1-2010 Emissions Testing. DIV 09 67 23 (View certification)For Kitchens and Mechanical Rooms – maximum durability; able to withstand both harsh cleaning regiments (hot water, steam, aggressive chemicals and solvents) and to endure the weight of heavy equipment.
- Ucrete HP/F- Flow applied cementitious urethane, 1/4-3/8" (6-9.5mm) finished thickness, can be applied to 7-10 day old concrete, VOC compliant, meets ADA slip resistance recommendations, wide temperature in service range (-50*-210*F) (-45-100*C). DIV 09 67 23To expedite the flooring installation process and manage moisture in concrete:
- MasterTop VB 240FS- fast setting, 100% solids epoxy moisture vapor barrier system that reduces the permeance of moisture vapor through concrete to levels that are acceptable for the installation of resinous flooring systems. Can be applied to 7 day-old concrete. Complete system warranty when used with MasterTop systems. DIV 03 39 00
09 97 00 Special Coatings- Exterior
Help protect the healthcare facility from the elements and keep the colors looking bold.
For structures in an environment where dirt pickup is a concern:MasterProtect C 350 - smooth 100% acrylic waterproof coating enables natural rain water to wash away dirt from the cladding and reduce the buildings maintenance costs. Suitable for fiber cement siding, concrete, masonry, EIFS/Stucco or previously painted substrates. DIV 09 97 23
To protect vertical above grade concrete & masonry applications:MasterProtect HB 400 - water based, high-build 100% acrylic coating resists wind-driven rain and provides effective carbon dioxide diffusion and to help protect embedded steel from corrosion. It is available in a broad range of colors and textures. (DIV 09 97 23)
Refer to the Wall Coatings selector guide for additional product options
MasterProtect Acrylic Coatings Product Selector Guide
Performance Flooring Color Portfolio
Project References: Healthcare Industry
Project References: Hospitals and Clinics
Wall Coatings Selector Guide