BASF Construction Chemicals Research and Development
Creating chemistry and enabling innovations for construction
BASF is one of the world's most innovative companies. Innovations are the basis for future profitable growth and thus lie at the core of our competitiveness.
Approximately 10,500 employees are engaged in research and development in about 3,000 projects at approximately 70 locations around the world. In 2013, we invested about €1.84 billion in R&D activities.
As part of BASF’s comprehensive global R&D network, experts focusing on construction chemicals are combining global BASF technologies with in-depth knowledge of local market needs, to develop solutions for our customers’ specific construction challenges.
We create innovative products and solutions, which provide benefits during construction and across the complete life cycle of buildings:
During construction, Master Builders Solutions products offer these benefits:
- Higher productivity
- Faster construction
- Lower life cycle costs
- Lower consumption of resources
- Increased energy efficiency
- Improved health protection and safety
When a building is in use, Master Builders Solutions products offer these benefits:
- Extended service life
- Lower life cycle costs
- Higher performance and functionality
- Higher safety and comfort
The demonstrated success of Master Builders Solutions products can be seen in:
- Concrete technology
- Cement chemistry
- Dispersant chemistry
- Surfactant chemistry
- Polyurethane chemistry
- Silyl-terminated polyurethane/polyether chemistry
- Epoxy chemistry
- Silane/siloxane chemistry
- Water-based emulsion chemistry
- Corrosion inhibition laboratory capabilities
BASF Construction Chemicals R&D sites:
The Construction Chemicals Technical Center in Beachwood, Ohio is one of the world's largest privately owned facilities dedicated to the science of concrete technology. The 55,000 square feet facility is equipped with sophisticated analytical and physical concrete testing equipment and houses 13 laboratories and five walk-in humidity and temperature controlled rooms.
Our 29,000 square feet Construction Chemicals laboratory located in Shakopee, MN provides research, development and support activities focused on polymer and emulsion chemistry. This facility houses 15 laboratories with approximately 800 linear feet of bench space including a synthesis and development laboratory, analytical, physical testing equipment and application equipment.
Our development group formulates products and serves as a testing and support resource for our customers. Scientists skilled in polymer synthesis work collaboratively with researchers around the globe to synthesize new materials and conduct research studies with polymer molecules in portland cement-based systems.
Our product development group focuses on conceiving technologies and chemical applications – the foundation for new products to handle a broad range of specific and uniquely challenging circumstances – and our technical support is considered the most comprehensive in the industry.
One of the core R&D sites for construction chemicals is located in Trostberg, Germany. The main R&D focus in Trostberg is on polymer-inorganic material interactions in cementitious powder products, concrete admixtures, cement additives, or related segments. This site has a tradition in chemistry of more than 100 years.
BASF Global R&D labs include:
- Kaisten, Switzerland – Development and global technical support for cementitious systems for the underground construction segment
- Shanghai, China – Research and development on resin based materials for waterproofing, performance flooring, repair & protection, underground construction, or related segments
BASF Construction Chemicals Regional R&D labs - Americas:
- Beachwood, Ohio, USA – Admixtures, additives, dispersions, and cementitious materials
- Shakopee, Minnesota, USA – Resins
- Barrientos, Mexico City, Mexico – Concrete technology
- Panama City, Panama – Concrete technology
- Sao Paolo, Brazil – Concrete technology
- Santiago, Chile – Concrete technology
- Lima, Peru – Concrete technology
- La Calera, Cundinamarca, Colombia – Concrete technology
Regional R&D labs - Europe:
- Augsburg, Germany – Cementitious materials and dispersions
- Treviso, Italy – Admixtures and additives
- Sinzheim, Germany – Wood protection
- Redditch, England – Performance flooring
- Schaffhausen/Oldenburg, Switzerland – Performance flooring and waterproofing
Regional R&D labs - Middle East, Russia, Africa:
- Dubai, UAE – Admixtures, cementitious materials, resins
Regional R&D labs - Asia Pacific:
- Shanghai, China – Admixtures, additives, dispersions, cementitious materials, and resins